Friday, October 9, 2009

Scene 1


The scene opens showing a bleak room with panels for walls, and the lighting is dim. Furniture in the room consists of a low coffee table, a couch, a display case with family photos, a fireplace, and a TV set. Everything is covered by white sheets. There is a black door on one end and a white door in the other, both have gold knobs and both open towards the audience. There is only one big window, and it has wooden boards on it, nailed shut.


A teenage boy and girl, a young man in his twenties, an old maid and a butler reveal themselves from behind the furniture. They start pulling the sheets off and the teenagers take the boards away from the window and the stage becomes brighter. The old maid, Sylvia, begins brushing Diana’s hair, and they both sit on the couch, while the boy, Alvin plays with his chess pieces. The young man, James, is reading the newspaper on an armchair while the butler, Andy, pours tea.


Sylvia: Ninety-eight…ninety-nine…one hundred. There, you’re done. Rises and leaves the room


Diana sits down beside Alvin and picks up a chess piece


Alvin: Girls can’t play chess. They’re too dumb.


Andy: Well now Alvin, Girls are every bit as smart as boys. You’d be surprised. Why when I was your age I knew a girl who beat me at spelling every time we had a test.


Sylvia: Comes back in with the children’s tea That was because you never studied, and always copied the answers off Jeffrey White’s paper, and he never studied either. Sets tray down and serves the food


Andy: Whispers to Alvin disappointedly I loved to think it was just because the teacher was never fond of me.


Diana: Girls are just as smart and I will prove it.


Alvin: Mockingly How?


Diana: By beating you at chess.


Alvin: Let’s see about that then.


Both children start arranging the chess pieces in starting position. James folds the newspaper and picks up the teacup


Andy: Anything good, sir?


James: Meteorologists predict an eclipse this week. Just what we need, for it to get even darker. This winter months are dreadful.


Andy: Word from Mr Griffith arrived today, Sir. Shall I fetch it now?


James: Oh please do, Andy. I haven’t heard from my brother for so long.


Andy runs off and fetches the letter. The children crowd around James as he reads it out.


James: Dear children and James, my business trip is almost over and I’ll be home in a few days. I’ve got lots of gifts for all of you, and I just can’t wait to be back home with you all. Daddy has just struck an amazing deal and we can go on a vacation to The Bahamas this spring. I’m sure that you all will enjoy that The children look at each other and grin Take care while I’m gone and listen to Andy and Ms Sylvia. Love, Dad.


Sylvia: Well isn’t that just the greatest news.


Diana: Daddy’s coming home!


Sylvia and Andy smile at one another and the children hug. The doorbell rings and Andy sets down the Teapot.


Andy: I’ll get it. Walks forward, dusts the front of his coat and opens the white door. An old beggar women hobbles in with snow on her shoulders, shivering. James stands up immediately.


James: Dear lady, are you alright?


Old woman: Good Evening, sir. I was just looking for a place to stay tonight. The other houses refused me and the cold is unbearable.


James: Of course, of course, you can stay the night with us.


Sylvia: I’ll ready the spare bedroom for our guest.


Old woman: Thank you sir, ma’am, I’ll be off first thing tomorrow, I promise.


James: Nonsense, stay as long as you need. I’m James Griffith and this house belongs to my brother Jonathan. These are his children gestures to Diana and Alvin. They both nod as their names are mentioned, Diana and Alvin, and our butler, Andy.


Andy: That nice lady you just met was the nanny, Sylvia.


Old Woman: Thank you for letting me in.


Sylvia comes back into the scene


Sylvia: You’re room is ready, dear. Carefully now. Helps old woman out through the black door. James follows both of them out.


Andy: The winter is brutal. Assuredly I’m glad I don’t have to go outdoors.


James comes back into the scene, walking towards the armchair and speaking at the same time.


James: Andy, good man, if you could make a trip to the local store and pick up some nice-smelling soap. Poor dear looks like she hasn’t had a warm bath for days. Sits down on the armchair and unfolds newspaper


Andy: Annoyed Certainly, sir. Goes towards the door slowly and sadly I’ll go out in the cold….


James: Don’t forget your coat…


Andy: Gets his coat Courting pnuemonia…


James: I’ll take that chance.


Andy grumbles and heads out the door with his coat.


Diana: Andy always does the work around here…


Alvin: He is the butler.


Diana shrugs and makes a move on the chessboard.


Diana: Checkmate.


The lights dim and the scene ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment